Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Orientation Done Real Class Starts

Wow, the real work is now beginning. So my first semester is loaded with all of my tough undergrad classes all thrown in to one semester. My classes include Microbiology, Cellular Science, Anatomy, Physiology, and Histology. In addition to these classes we have labs and technical training classes.  These classes cover dissection, clinical skills, osteopathic manipulative medicine, and general patient interaction scenario role playing.  PNWU is very patient oriented and so their curriculum in the technical training is based on building people skills and learning how to build patient-doctor relationships, which I feel is a much needed skill in todays medical world.
So we are in class everyday Mon-Fri from 8am to 5pm.  So far my study schedule is in the works. I am shooting for studying about 5 hours a day Mon-Fri and then hitting Saturday for about 8-10 hours so I don't have to study on Sunday.
The curriculum is system based.  So we focus on things that have to do with certain body systems at a time like the musculoskeletal system, endocrine system, reproductive system, and so forth.  Every system we cover for about 4 weeks then we take two days to take exams.  These are called test blocks.  Some test blocks we can have up to 14 exams.  All are formatted to be simulate our board exams.
Out of all the classes so far the only class I feel nervous about is Histology.  This is the study of human tissues and cells. From what I gathered from second year students here on campus, Histology is the class that takes up the majority of study time during semester one. Every week we are hit with about 50 pages of notes and about 20 pages of followup questions and answers.  Lots of stuff and honestly I did not know how I will fit it all in my brain, but obviously it is possible.
My school has a phenomenal philosophy about the success of students in their pursuit to become a physician.  About 10-15 years ago the philosophy revolved around the idea that only 2 out of 3 doctors make it out of medical school.  My school believes if they do not provide the tools for every student to become a physician they have failed.  The United States is currently facing a shortage of primary care physicians so why make the shortage worse. Now this is not to sound as if our school is lowering the bar in their training.  Currently our students have a 96% board pass rate and we score  well above the national average on our boards.
Anyways enough bragging about my university.  I am excited to be a doctor in training.  The road ahead is long, but if I put my nose to the books, I am sure it will pass by pretty quick.
This is a picture of me with my official student doctor ID badge. The feeling is still surreal being here in medical school. I think that will wear off pretty soon as the first test block is in 3 weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I figured the process to get to where you are is a difficult one but holy moly! And I'm sure your description is still a brief one! But when you do what you do, you will be able to provide amazing service for the rest of your life and your family will definitely be blessed! I've been fortunate enough to work with quite a few doctors who love what they do and it really makes a difference as a patient or the mom of a patient knowing that the one taking care of you or your child has a vested interest in helping you. It definitely means the most when it comes to my kids. I have been so lucky that PCMC has hooked Jackson up with an amazing orthopedist and ophthalmologist. Good luck as you continue your journey! I'm sure it won't be easy but so worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete