Wednesday, August 6, 2014

My Intro: The Tip of the Iceburg

I was born in Bountiful, UT in 1987.  From there until six I lived in Magna, UT.  My dad, a recent college graduate, then landed a solid job in Idaho Falls, ID. Good old Idaho Falls is where I tell people I am from. I grew up playing baseball, exploring the outdoors, and staying out of trouble. Putting all the small details aside I would say that I had a pretty regular childhood for a southeast Idaho boy, minus harvesting potatoes. Sorry had to throw that in there.
My passion for medicine actually started in the animal kingdom. Growing up I had dogs, lizards, fish, and all sorts of pets that I could capture.  I loved the living world and continually strove to know how things worked in those tiny animal bodies.  I remember on many occasions capturing spiders and cutting them up to look at them under a microscope. Kinda weird!  One of the coolest moments I remember from my childhood was when our dog Pepsi, my beloved Pepsi ha ha, gave birth to her first litter of puppies.  Though the experience was slightly traumatic to a young preteen boy, I quickly realized life was a miracle. I wanted to study that miracle.
My love for animal life put me first into the mindset to become a veterinarian; however, after I grew older and began to travel the world, I realized that I enjoy learning about the lives and science of people more than animals.  So tossing the dream of becoming a vet aside, I set my sites on becoming a physician.
Idaho Falls was luckily home to many great physicians, many of which were my friends fathers.  I loved to hear and observe the types of lives and jobs these men had.  They were men who seemed to be cut from a different cookie cutter. Their lives were lives a service and though I saw at times they were stressed and tired, I saw a sense of joy that  came from their line of work. I wanted to enjoy my work and serve others.
The past summary was just the tip of the iceberg of why I want to be a physician. I could do some name dropping and shout outs to all the people in my life who got me this far, but honestly the amount of people that influenced my life up to this point is astronomical and frankly I would probably miss someone and feel bad. In short I wish to thank every member of my family, especially my parents,who have been so supportive. I could not have made it without them. Thank you for letting me take this long, worthwhile  journey. Thank you, thank you, thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment