Sunday, August 10, 2014

Life After Acceptance and the White Coat Ceremony

So after such a long blog post I realized I need to shorten this next one for everyone's sake.  So here it goes. I received my acceptance letter and phone call a week after my interview in January.  From then I worked my last job as a CNA in Spanish Fork until July.  We then packed up for Yakima and moved here July 16th with some awesome, wonderful help from our Aunt Kara, Grandpa Neal, Papa Dave, and Camille.  Now we are moved in and are making this place our new home.  Rumor has it that my current class has about 36 LDS students, which is pretty amazing odds.  Just in our town home complex we have about 13 LDS couples and small families.  Our ward is amazingly outgoing and we have had non-stop love and support.
Our first few weeks here flew by as we were getting our utilities set up, applying for government benefits, and unpacking our belongings.  We also managed to fit in some fun family outings as well.
So the state of Washington has some pretty amazing government benefits due to the every growing need of immigrant workers in the fruit industry up here.  We were put on food stamps,  WIC, and medicaid in just a week. That is because my income fell to zero once I became a student. In Utah, had we signed up for those benefits, that would have taken over 2 months.  I think some people look down on us for maybe getting on benefits, but they are probably not going to medical school and are not obtaining $80,000 in debt per year including interest.  That's right, my tuition costs $49,000 a year and the addition $31,000 is taken out for living and other school expenses. So yes I will sign up for every benefit available so as to not take out more loans to live on, thank you very much.
Anyways, lets get on to the first week of school.  So days 1-5 of school was full of general orientation to technology, a service project, the class schedule, and general scare tactics that basically were, "if you don't study more than 50 hours a week on top of the 40 hours of class you will fail." So that was nice.  Then Saturday we had our white coat ceremony which included our taking of the osteopathic oath.  These next pictures are the pictures of my first week of school and the events.



Day 1                                   Orientation


White coat ceremony




No comments:

Post a Comment