Friday, September 5, 2014

Exam Block One is Done and Done

So four weeks of hard work boiled down to ten exams in two days. The experience was a mixture between an anxious nightmare and pat on the back.  The exam block, as it is called, felt like all my science finals over four years wrapped into two days. The reason things were so nerve racking was because failure in medical school is not much of an option unless you don't want to become a doctor and want to drown in hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. If we fail an exam, which is getting below a 75%, then we have to receive help to make sure that does not happen again in that same class. Failure in any course at the end of the year results in failing out of school.
The exams were also a pat on the back because my hard work did pay off.  My exams included Anatomy Lecture, Anatomy Lab, Physiology, Microbiology, Clinical Skills, Osteopathic Principles, Microbiology, Cell Science, Epidemiology, and Histology. In all exams I received or felt confident I got B or better in; however, the Anatomy Lecture exam is the one I am worried about. I don't know my grade currently. The lecture material covered imaging techniques, muscle and bone attachments, muscle movement, nervous system pathways, and embryology.  The part of the exam that hurt me the most by far was embryology, and specifically the signals which make it all possible. It was rough and I hope I passed.
I learned that Anatomy Lecture exams are much harder than I expected and require ample time to prepare. The amount of material to cover is tough.  If I could take it all back, I would have subtracted some time from my Cell Science and Microbiology classes to focus more on Anatomy.  But all in all I feel if I passed 9 out the 10 exams for every test block, as long as they are different each time, I consider myself a decent medical student. Sounds bad saying a future doctor is okay with failing tests, but if you were to put yourself in my shoes I am sure you would feel the same.
In celebration of my test block success I will now eat Cinnamon Toast Crunch and watch Netflix.  Hailey and Olive flew out of the week and I won't see them until next Thursday. Which makes my celebration quite lonely. Haha. My girls flew out to see Grandma and Grandpa Harlan and then we will all reunite at Katee's wedding next Thursday. Thanks for reading my posts. I hope my family enjoys reading about my journey.  Thank for all the love, support, and prayers.
Miss my girls! Have fun in Utah and see you in Idaho!!!

1 comment: