Monday, September 22, 2014

Test Block #2 Speedily Approaches

The test anxiety continues to build as the next round of tests start next Monday.  This round of exams will be a little different as we are introduced to a practical exam and a histology lab exam.  These practical exams are more intense and more hands on. The histology exam is a microscopic slide exam. The professor will show us a zoomed out picture of a particular tissue sample, then he will zoom in to higher magnification, and then even higher magnification, and then will point to a cell or structure and we will have to guess what he is pointing out.  So far we have covered well over 30 types of tissues and the different types of cells and structure in these tissue are astronomical. When I think about all the possible things he could test on, it gives me anxiety.  Luckily I have dedicated a lot of time to this class and so hopefully I will do well.  Active recall and fill in the blank tests are much more difficult than multiple choice.
I will also be having a Osteopathic Principles and Practice practical exam where I will have to demonstrate manipulation techniques to certain body parts.  Much of what we have learned so far is about manipulation of tissues, particularly the fascia.  For those who don't know, fascia is a type of connective tissue that is located in-between muscles and layers of your body.  A poor analogy of this would be if you put a piece of silk fabric between your two hands and slid your hands back and forth along the silk fabric. Your hands would be your muscles and the silk sheet would be the fascia.  Fascia is anatomically important as it helps to divide body compartments, provide circulation, support, and reduce friction to your muscles and cavities. Many studies believe that when you have a "knot" in your back, the knot is not a muscle knot, but more of a fascial knot.  So our practical exam focuses much not he muscles of the neck and back. Most of the techniques I have learned look like modified stretches and massage to joints and muscles. Later on in the year we will be learning techniques similar to chiropractors where we use quick movements to align "pop" and fix muscle/bone issues. If you want to learn more about what makes a DO different from and MD then google Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine to give you a sense of what I will be learning and what make me similar/different from MD's and Chiropractors.
The other exams are similar to last test block where the instructors force information down our throats with the hopes that we retain at least 75% of the information.  From last test block the stakes have been upped as the material has become more difficult and the information is compounding on previously learned concepts.  I feel confident in my strategies and studying plans from last test block and feel they will work in all my classes except Anatomy.  I passed my Anatomy exam but just above the lower end of the average. I hope to put in more time with hopes to make up for my lower score from last exam. The exam will be on the upper limb.  This includes lots and lot of nerves, arteries, muscles and tendons that control movement in the shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand.
Anyways this is a quick update for my blog.  I will update some more when I need to take another break from my endless studying.  I feel studying serves as a good anti-anxiety drug.  The upcoming test cause anxiety and the only way to feel better is to study, study, study! My next post I will post pictures about Katee's wedding and some recent events.

No comments:

Post a Comment