Sunday, October 5, 2014

Is God in Medicine?

I sure hope God is in medicine.  In only two short years, I will be out the classroom and begin rotating between different specialties in the medical profession. Then in four years, I will be in my residency tending to patients who need physical, mental, and often spiritual help.  I can't imagine the pressure that I will face when it's my turn to save the life of another human being, one of my spiritual brothers or sisters.
I know that God is in the medicine.  For I would not be in medical school had it not been for countless divine miracles and the loving sacrifices of many, especially my wife and family.  I hear about so many who struggle to get into medical school, often applying two to four times before they get in. Through the last little savings we had, and through family loans, Hailey and I scratched by just enough to take the MCAT and apply to just four medical schools.  With the stress of a baby on the way and being the poorest we have ever been on our own, Hailey and I put all our chips in.  With some amazing letters of recommendations from professors, researchers, and a friend, I was lucky enough to get an interview and acceptance to the top school of my choice.  Some people may say I deserved it or that I worked hard to get in, but honestly getting into medical school is more than handwork, dedication, and accomplishments. I feel these things are only about 50% of the struggle.  The rest involves luck, interview skills, timing, and divine help.  Why did the interviewers feel I said something special? Why did they choose me over another kid who had better grades, scores, and accomplishments?  I feel my greatest strength comes from the truth I know about God.  That is that He is real. He loves me. He knows my struggles. He loves everyone equally. 
God knew I needed to get into school, he knew I was under a lot of pressure. I prayed for help in my interview as I struggled dealing with the anxiety and pressure of being successful for my little family.  I was interviewed only 7 days after Olive was born.  I was sleep deprived, stressed, and scared that all our hard work would have been in vain.  But as I was on my knees praying the night and morning before my interview I remember feeling peace, love, and strength from God.  I began seeing all the things He had done for me in my life.  From the opportunities I had through my education and research I was able to gain the experiences needed to become a successful physician. Through my work I gained countless hours of medical experience and met my wife Hailey. Through my study abroad for international business I found a medical research opportunity. God places people and experiences in our lives so that we can be our best selves and accomplish our goals if we are true to ourselves and what we believe.
In the field of medicine I don't believe a doctor has gone through his career not seeing a miracle.  Life contains so many questions. Science and medicine can answer so many of those questions.  But for the questions science can't explain, believing in God and Jesus Christ provides answers for me. I am a Mormon and proud to say that God is in my life and I always want him to be.

For an awesome story about surgery and prayer by one of the greatest heart surgeons of all time here are a few links:
Russel M. Nelson Bio
http://www.healthcare-administration-degree.net/20-most-innovative-surgeons-alive-today/
Story of Prayer and Heart Surgery: Begins at the paragraph heading "Personal Experience with Prayer"
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2003/04/sweet-power-of-prayer?lang=eng

1 comment: